[MacDV] Re: Can't save iMovie 3.03 Projects

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Sat Jan 3 17:13:54 PST 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Carlton Kelly wrote:

> UFS...
>
> ~ $ df -t ufs
> Filesystem    512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/disk0s10   38812406 25327444 11544342    69%    /
> ~ $ df -t hfs
> ~ $

The use of UFS is the cause of your difficulty with iMovie, Carl.

UFS ( = "Unix File System") is a design for laying out a filesystem on
disk.  It is used throughout the entire Unix world.  Unfortunately,
Apple chose to use HFS+ as the standard for its Unix-based operating
system.  HSF+ is an evolution of HFS, bringing it up to date and
providing modern FS features.  It supports things that Apple wanted
(like case insensitive file names) but it is incompatible with the
entire rest of the world.  Gee, what a familiar story.

For that reason, Apple also supports the formatting and use of UFS.
Someone developing software for another platform on MacOS X might chose
to use UFS, so that file transfer is easier.  It would be a strange
choice otherwise.  Can you say if you chose UFS when you did the
original installation, or did someone do it for you?

See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25316
"Unless you have a specific reason to use UFS, you should use the Mac
OS Extended format"

Your only option at this point is to backup all your data, reformat the
drive as HFS+, reinstall the OS and all apps, and copy your data back
in again.   If I were in your shoes, I would do this regardless of
whether I wanted to use iMovie or not.   Running UFS on Macs paints you
into a poorly-supported corner.  For example, Airport does not work
when Mac OS X is installed on a UFS formatted volume.  Some file
metadata is not available using UFS.

Good luck.

     Peter