[MacDV] Better titling options

Eric Phillips PHILLIE at wyeth.com
Tue Jan 6 05:05:09 PST 2004

Chris,
I have thought about that and debated the cost of buying plug-ins for
iMovie or buying FCE. The $50 for Slick V5 or $250 for FCE is a big
difference. There are three titling things that I find myself wanting to
do that iMove either can't do or does it poorly. I would like to be able
to place a text block anywhere on the frame, make speaking bubbles like
you see in comic strips, and scrolling text block. The first two are
almost impossible to do with iMovie. The speed adjustment for the
scrolling block in iMove I find does not work well. In the small preview
window it looks great but when I put it in my clip the text actually
scrolls by in the first half of the clip, so you need to be a speed
reader. How well does FCE handle these things?

Let me ask you another question, I am doing home videos of our 6 month
old daughter to send to my parents 2000 miles away. The part that takes
me the longest is editing the volume level. What happens is if the
person holding the camera speaks the volume is very loud compared to the
people in front of the camera. What I have to do is play the movie and
wait for a place where the volume is too loud then lower the volume and
check to see if I got it in the correct place since play head does not
move smoothly along the time line. So I adjust and fiddle until I get it
in the right place. This gets more difficult if the camera person and
the on screen person are talking back and forth so the adjustments need
to be at precise points. How much easier would this be in FCE? If FCE
could significantly improve my audio editing problems and give me better
titling that $200 difference gets a lot smaller.

Thanks,
Eric

>>> chrisandheather at shaw.ca 1/5/2004 3:58:37 PM >>>
Eric,

A suggestion. If you want better titling options why not opt for Final
Cut Express or Final Cut Pro. These apps are far more capable than what
you are using.

Chris

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
digest version.

 XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
$879!