[MacDV] Re: Apple abandons the G3 chip

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Jan 6 17:29:24 PST 2004

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 08:20  PM, illovox at comcast.net wrote:

> on 1/6/04 5:08 PM, James Asherman at jimash at optonline.net wrote:

>>> Exactly
>>>

>> I gotta say. I share the frustration and the answer. But there comes a
>> time when you can't even bear to read the magazines or catalogues, and
>> then comes the test of marriage and plastic that leads to some
>> outrageously priced machine that will go down by 50% by the
>> time you've got it mastered.
>
> Like cars, it's most advantageous to have patience and buy used.  I
> broke my
> own rule and bought the closeout dual 1.25 dual/dual boot unit new from
> small dog.

I had a hankering for such a machine. I chose to upgrade both the
quicksilver and 9600 instead. Maybe I was wrong.

>  Meantime, I finally migrated my Pismo to X.2.8 and have since
> learned that I need never go back to 9.  $2k I could have poured into
> a new
> G5--down the tube, as the dual boot g4 now provides no advantage for
> me.  I
> thought I would still need 9 boots. But no.  All my 9 apps that I
> still use
> work in classic.  Arf.

I have also believed that I would need the dual boot but have rarely
realy used 9
since 10.1.5. So , same here.

> As for the mastering thing...keep the units that provide use...:)
That is why I still miss the Toaster and the A2000 Edit controller.
Really, at this point it is ALL a matter of render time. As you know.

>   I still
> use a 5500 with tv/fm tuner and upgraded internal burner, 80 gig drive
> and
> so on in my bedroom as an all around way to watch tv, video and DVD's,
> tune
> radio and stream radio...now I just need to paint the case...

That sounds fun. Maybe I should put the 7600 back together. OOPS I gave
away the cpu and robbed all the ram for the 9600. Got maybe a 100Mhz
604 card laying around somwhere.