[MacDV] XVCD possible (desirable?) on Mac?

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Jan 7 15:02:12 PST 2004

On 1/7/04 12:43 PM, Malcolm Hamilton at malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca wrote:

> Maybe I barking up the wrong tree here, being very new at this.  I
> just want to burn the best quality video/audio I can, without wasting
> a big 4.7GB DVD on a nine-minute-long item.
> In QuickTime, by the way, this file is 1.9 GB - - too big for a CD-R.
> In Super-VCD (as mentioned), this file is 145MB - - too small (i.e.
> wasted space) for a CD-R.

I guess 60 cents is too much to spend on a CD-R?  That's about the average
going price these days...  I say just stick with SVCD.  From my experience
with Toast 6's SVCD capabilities, it's really easy, and they look pretty
good -- WAAAY better than VCD, but only slightly noticeably worse than DVD.
Encoding is kinda slow, but if you encode to a disc image, then making
copies is super quick.  If you've got Toast 6, then you're set, if not, then
it's a worthy investment (in my opinion) if you like making SVCDs...

2 cents.

- Mark