[MacDV] Re: Blue and White G3 rant:(

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Jan 7 15:12:44 PST 2004

On 1/7/04 12:45 PM, illovox at comcast.net at illovox at comcast.net wrote:

> on 1/7/04 8:20 AM, chrisandheather at shaw.ca at chrisandheather at shaw.ca wrote:
>
> You're being silly.  A B&W G3 can utilize Final Cut 1, 2 & 3, Premier 5, 6 &
> 6.5, Avid suites, Video Shop 3 - now, Movie-Maker, etc. etc.  You go on Ebay
> and spend a hundred bucks and get to work.  You work in 9 and you get a Fuse
> card with FCP2 and you have a pro set up.  You get a Cinewave card and you
> have an uncompressed pro set up.  For heaven's sake, all these machines were
> used for pro application at one time or another.  Do you think these
> capabilities went out the window?  CONTEXT.

EXACTLY!  Don't forget about audio apps...  This machine would be great for
a basic ProTools setup, or Logic, or whatever.  I was thinking about getting
a Blue G3 for just this -- using an older version of Deck (II) that will
only run on Mac OS 8.6 or earlier, which is fully supported on the Blue G3,
but not on most G4s.  Think of it as a piece of pro audio or video
equipment, and it's suddenly worth every penny...

As kind of an anecdotal note -- I used to do freelance editing and motion
graphics for a local producer, and he was still using a Media 100 HDR (High
Data Rate, not High Def) in a 9500 when the Blue G3s came out.  It worked
like a champ day in and day out, running Mac OS 7.6 even!  When he needed
more speed for After Effects renders, he got a NewerTech G3 upgrade,
upgraded to Mac OS 8, and used it some more.  If it ain't broke...

- Mark