[MacDV] Re: how and why to benchmark

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Wed Jan 7 16:53:12 PST 2004

This is the last I have to say on the matter as I think the list is getting
tired of this. Nobody's interested in a flame war and this thing is just going
so far out of control and off topic.

Quoting Peter van der Linden <pvdl at afu.com>:

> The comments I have made follow the rules of discourse and logic that
> are accepted among educated people everywhere.  They have been shaped
> and evolved and worked since the time of the ancient Greeks.  They form
> the basis of the scientific method worldwide.

Right. You really are trying hard to win aren't you?

> If you or anyone wishes to make a claim, you have to produce evidence
> in support to those who challenge it.  If you would like some other
> process, then fine, but you cannot pretend that you have "won" the
> discussion, or that you have demonstrated anything at all, or that your
> other process shows anything except a lack of understanding about how
> factual matters are resolved objectively.

You are the one making the claim. Yet you turn it around and assume that you
couldn't possibly be wrong and anyone making a claim challenging *you* will have
to produce evidence to the contrary. But you yourself have produced no evidence
to prove your claim in the first place except the towering self importance yet
somehow not self evident intellect. You've really "won" with your pseduo
intellectual psycho babble. Congratualtions Peter.

> When I get around to writing the benchmarks, I shall do my utmost to
> evaluate the proposition carefully to reach an accurate answer.  [I
> know this is not the normal industry meaning of "benchmark"].  Why
> would I bother investing a minute of my time in anything less?  I am
> not interested in "winning" a debate (I have already done that because
> people have been unable to show the data on which they base their
> illogical beliefs).  I am interested in showing what the factors are,
> and allowing others to look at the evidence and make their own minds
> up.  And there is a very small, but non-zero, chance that I am wrong
> because of some factor that I have overlooked.  The benchmark will
> endeavor to find that.

Didn't you read my response last time to the ridiculous idea that YOU an
obvioulsy biased participant could possibly be trusted to produce accurate
results. Do you even have the neccesary equipment or expertise to carry out such
tests in the first place. Why are you afraid of third party testing.

> Part of this involves making public the source code and benchmark
> process.  That will allow anyone to comment on it, to suggest
> improvements, and to reproduce it for themselves.  How amusing that you
> should think there is any point in doing otherwise.
>
>       Peter

Yes Peter of course, us uneducated illogical types must amuse you to no end.
Have fun.

That's all have I have to say.

Richard