[MacDV] Re: Maxtor 160GB (Blue and White G3)

Granville Kennedy gskiii at telerama.lm.com
Wed Jan 7 18:24:34 PST 2004

Well, a search of archives of Accelerate Your Mac might provide some
clues.
	http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

  As far as I'm concerned, I've always been leery of Norton products.
Especially in OS 9, when extensions installed by Norton's would do way
more harm than good :-)  Anyone who feels an overnight run of any disk
utility is an acceptable use of CPU cycles, fine by me.  The size of
the HD in question and the  bandwidth of the bus have made these sorts
of exercises take an inordinate amount of time and energy.  If Panther
helps keep things in check so you can wait longer before having to run
any utility, then that makes yet another point in favor of an OS
upgrade :-)

This from a guy who still runs 9.1 on a G3 upgraded 6100 - connected to
the Airport base station w/ ethernet, and is still using a POTS
internet access!  A review of the bills this month leads me to think
that a DSL connection may soon be a break-even proposition given we
drop the second land line.  Speed, or perceived speed, or the lack
thereof, is directly related to how much you value your time.

WRT to the other dead horse currently under discussion, I can't see how
having unused disk space on a HD because the controller can't see the
other 21GB can possibly help the disk performance when the HD gets
stuffed.  In this instance I would probably be happy to dedicate it to
projects and then a quick reformat if and when necessary.  The whole
reason to use Macs in the first place is that the get out of your way
and let you work on projects.  Having to run utilities may be a
necessary evil, but then having the system freeze and lose data used to
be a regular part of the Mac experience under anything before OS X.
People seem to have forgotten how sweet things are for us Mac users now
:-)

Regards,
		Joey Kennedy.

On Wednesday, Jan 7, 2004, at 18:42 US/Eastern, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> You will write the benchmarks, which of course will totally agree with
> your
> argument. How about an independant third party evaluation. Is there
> any?
>

> Richard

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
	Finger for PGP key ------ http://users.telerama.com/~gskiii