[MacDV] Re: how and why to benchmark Last one!

Dmytro Koval'ov dmytro.kovalov at nikkocitigroup.com
Wed Jan 7 21:15:05 PST 2004

  +> Controller DOES NOT report to speed disk whether space contiguous
  +> or not. Speed disk decides this and draws the picture of what it
  +> THINKS is representing the drive.

  James> It must get that information somewhere. It must be relevant.
  James> Are you really saying the whole excersize is meaningless?

Yes. That's what I'm saying. Although I could probably agree with you
that working with continuous file of big size could be easier and faster
for OS, I do not believe Norton can line up *physical* sectors on disk.
Only partitioning and re-formatting can reliably give you continuous
free space. After you delete your first file, you don't have it anymore.

--Dmytro