[MacDV] Sony TRV 900 repair?

Ron gMedia.DV at verizon.net
Thu Jan 8 08:43:26 PST 2004

Hi Jamie,

You didn't say what they were doing for the money, but you should be getting
new drums (heads) for that money. I had the same problem with my VX1000 and
for the $700 they wanted to repair and the fact that it had lots of hours on
it, I decided to get a new camera. I sold the VX on ebay for over $700 as is
and I also sold the batteries and charger, dc charger and the remote all
separately.

Your 900 is a VERY popular camera and go regularly for over $1000 because it
has such good specs-even better in low light than the PDX-10 I got. You
didn't say who was repairing/evaluating it but when I had mine done at Sony,
they only charged $26 for the eval and they listed all the parts and labor
to bring it up to spec. If you're not having Sony look at it, I would
seriously consider having them check it out assuming that you want to
repair. I'm not an expert, but audio probs could be a drum problem, but more
likely just a circuit or loose wire problem. Have you tried plugging in an
external mic as a test? If it is just the mic, you can use an external
one-and depending on which one you use, it will be superior to the built in
one anyway.

HTH
Ron--