FCE/Disk space/external disk

sb videovideo at mac.com
Fri Jan 9 22:54:54 PST 2004

Many people including myself like the WiebeTech drives. You are actually
buying a very good case, since the drives are made by Hitachi/IBM, Western
Digital, or Maxtor (which I think is also Seagate now).

I've always preferred Hitachi/IBM, but I now have a big Maxtor and it's been
working fine for almost a year.

As for moving the FCE project and media files, you can just copy them over
to the new drive.

Just hook up the new external drive, launch FCE to set the User Prefs for
Scratch Disk to add the new drive. It will create a new FCE folder with all
the subfolders (render, autosave, capture scratch, etc) on the new drive.
Then SAVE Project As to someplace on the new drive, and quit FCE.

You can drag all the clips out of the two older capture scratch folders into
the new one. The first time you launch the project, you will have to
reconnect the media, but after you do the first one, it should "see" the
rest of them.

The project file itself is quite small, probably only a few hundred kb, and
shouldn't be saved on the media drive. Though this is not some absolute
rule, I've heard a few gurus recommend saving projects on the OS drive. They
seem to feel that the program runs better. I don't know if this is true or
not, I do know that I've run projects from all over the place, and the only
place it's not too good is longish projects that are saved to the Desktop.

 sb