HP & Rebranded iPods

William Hofius wjh at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 11:38:46 PST 2004

On Saturday, January 10, 2004, at 01:11  PM, Macintosh Digital Video
List wrote:

> It would be truly astonishing if Apple had forgotten to write a clause
> in the licensing contract stipulating a minimum resale price by H-P.
> HP won't undercut Apple's prices.   The clone situation was very
> different to this.

If Apple sells HP an HP branded 15GB iPod for $279, HP is not going to
be able to undercut Apple with huge price cuts very much.

I seem to recall that one reason that many stores dropped Apple
products from their shelves was that Apple's price to resellers was so
high that most resellers were barely breaking even on each Mac they
sold.

Apple is not going to charge HP so little for an iPod that HP could
sell it well below Apple prices and steal significant market share.