[MacDV] Re: flicker rate & stabilizer

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 15:33:48 PST 2004

On Saturday, Jan 10, 2004, at 19:11 Europe/London, Mark M. Florida
wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2004, at 1:01 PM, Brett Koonce wrote:
>
>> It's an old film trick, synching gates.  Nowadays, there's an easier
>> trick: just find a LCD monitor to film.
>
> Or use 60 Hz -- not very good to look at first-hand, but should
> transfer well to video (NTSC, right?).  If your shooting PAL, maybe 75
> Hz?  Or you could adjust the frame rate of your camera to as close of
> an even multiple of your scan rate as possible -- like set your
> computer to 60 Hz and your camera to 1/30 sec.

I remember watching a television shoot in a set with a prominent
computer monitor. The camera operators synced their cameras together
and then varied the sync signal a wee bit up and down until the flicker
and lines disappeared from the image of the monitor.

Just because the frame rate equalled the flicker rate (unlikely anyway)
would not necessarily give a clean image - you might just as easily get
a fixed black line or other lines.  There's more to it that that.

There must be someone on the list with studio experience of this kind
of issue.

Colin McDonald