[MacDV] Re: Pioneer SuperDrive DVR-AO6

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jan 10 18:30:26 PST 2004

>Apple currently sources two Superdrives, the Pioneer DVR-106 and the Sony DW-U10A.   If you can find out the difference between the 106 and the A06, you can tell what the chances for success are.  If the difference is just OEM vs retail, it will be fine. But if Apple modified the firmware, then you will find that hard to replicate.

I'm fairly certain that there is no real difference between a 106 and A06 that you purchase for a PC, I think it's just the retail vs. OEM deal.  Based on an article that was in Mac Addict a few months ago, I don't think Apple uses custom firmware.  What worries me is how a DVR-106/A06 might react in a B&W G3, AND how iDVD might react to trying to burn a DVD on such a system.

>You could try buying a firewire case with controller and putting the DVD burner into that.  It's still not guaranteed, but I think this may well work even if the first alternative doesn't.
>
>If the problem is that the iLife apps won't work with it, you may be able to use Toast with it instead (and write the DVDs to disk, then Toast the disk to DVD).

iDVD only works with an internal Superdrive.  For an external DVD burner, you either have to have DVD Studio Pro, or Toast.

BTW, I've got the 106/A06 in my G5, it's a very nice drive, and much better than the 104/A04 in my WinXP system.

			Zane