FCE 2 newbie question -- how to log clips and capture later?

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Tue Jan 13 23:45:08 PST 2004

I've used iMovie, and just yesterday I purchased Final Cut Express 2
from a local Mac dealer.

I've been going through the Getting Started manual and the Help file.
I can understand how to capture clips using the Capture Clip and
Capture Now buttons.

And I think I understand how the Capture Project will capture or
re-capture selected clips using the In and Out timecodes that have
previously been logged for those clips.

What I don't get is how to actually log those clips without capturing
them. I play back video from the camcorder, and select the In and Out
points. But I don't see what I'm supposed to do to get FCE to save
that information for that clip and proceed to the next one without
hitting the Capture Clip button, and thereby capturing the actual
video. Clicking on the clapboard button next to the Shot/Take field
increments the clip name, but that doesn't appear to create a new
clip in the browser window.

I suspect I'm missing something fairly obvious.

The project I'll ultimately be working on has a couple of hours of
raw video. I'd like to log both tapes, and then select just the clips
I want to capture for editing (hopefully ending up with about 20
minutes of edited material).

I'm running FCE 2 on an iMac G4 800 with 1GB RAM.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>