[MacDV] one firewire port, two devices

YangZone at aol.com YangZone at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 08:40:11 PST 2004

> Can I import the video via the external drive's firewire port without
>problems? Or would a firewire hub be a better option?

The drive connects to the iBook and the camera connects to the second FW port of the drive. Even though this kinda looks like the camera is plugging into the drive - what's happening is: the camera is connecting to Firewire, a data transfer protocol built in to the iBook.

Using an external drive,  with, hopefully, a speed of at least 7,200 rpm handling just your captured/saved video files (with the Apple Operating System (OS X) and Video Application(s) (iMovie) on the iBook's drive) should allow the G4 processor to choreograph internal and external drive heads to successfully execute the weighty business of Video transfer... and this arangement should allow trouble-free editing too... ... .