[MacDV] Re: one firewire port, two devices

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jan 14 09:33:35 PST 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 10:40 AM, YangZone at aol.com wrote:

>> Can I import the video via the external drive's firewire port without
>> problems? Or would a firewire hub be a better option?
>
> The drive connects to the iBook and the camera connects to the second
> FW port of the drive. Even though this kinda looks like the camera is
> plugging into the drive - what's happening is: the camera is
> connecting to Firewire, a data transfer protocol built in to the
> iBook.

Another way to look at it is that the external drive acts like a
two-port hub.

> Using an external drive,  with, hopefully, a speed of at least 7,200
> rpm handling just your captured/saved video files (with the Apple
> Operating System (OS X) and Video Application(s) (iMovie) on the
> iBook's drive) should allow the G4 processor to choreograph internal
> and external drive heads to successfully execute the weighty business
> of Video transfer

If he has that, he's more than ready. I routinely captured to an
external FW drive with a 5400 rpm mechanism using a 450 MHz iMac DV
(that's a G3) -originally using OS 9 and iMovie 2. These days I think
you'd have trouble putting together a system that wouldn't be
sufficient.

> ... and this arangement should allow trouble-free editing too... ... .

Yep. Just don't try editing on an old iMac like the one mentioned above
unless you're only cutting and splicing.

-Mike