[MacDV] Re: imovie import loses sound

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 14 09:56:20 PST 2004

I found this on El Gato's site. Quoting:
MAD
(a free audio conversion tool for OS X)
http://www.biermann.org/philipp/mad/

You'll also need QuickTime Pro to export to DV.

Do the following to use your EyeTV files with iMovie or iDVD:

1.	Export a recorded program from EyeTV, by using the File -->
Save as QuickTime command.
2.	Use bbDEMUX on the exported EyeTV file. You'll get a video
file which ends with .m1v, and an audio file that ends with .m1a.
3.	Use MAD to convert the .m1a file into AIFF format.
4.	Use iMovie to import the AIFF file - it shows up as an audio
track at the bottom of the screen.
5.	Use the QuickTime Player to export the .m1v file to DV by
using the File --> Export command.
6.	Please note that the DV file size that iMovie accepts is
limited to 2GB (9 minutes or less). Trim your video file into smaller
segments before trying to import it.
7.	Use iMovie to import the DV file - it shows up as a video
clip on the top right of the screen.
8.	Drag the video clip to the bottom of the screen, and now the
video is synched back up with the audio.

Now you can use iMovie to do whatever you want with your EyeTV
recording. You can export your movie to QuickTime format, or keep it
in DV format for use with iDVD.