[MacDV] Re: one firewire port, two devices

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jan 14 14:14:07 PST 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 2:13 PM, illovox at comcast.net wrote:

> on 1/14/04 9:33 AM, Michael Winter at winter at mac.com wrote:
>

>>> ... and this arangement should allow trouble-free editing too... ...
>>> .
>>
>> Yep. Just don't try editing on an old iMac like the one mentioned
>> above
>> unless you're only cutting and splicing.
>>
>> -Mike
>
> Why not?  People did so for years before the next gen boxes came out,
> just
> as they did on G4s, which will seem to many "impossible" in another
> year or
> so...

There's no problem for many things -exporting can be left to do
overnight etc. I think my iMac was about as low as you could get and
still run iMovie.

What I've found though is I never really played around with iMovie just
to see what I could do with effects and transitions, mostly because it
just took too long to try out  a lot of different things on a slower
Mac. Maybe others are better at it than I am, but I always have to try
a bunch of stuff (most of which look horrible) before I find something
I like. I just didn't have the patience to do this on the iMac, so I
never did any of the "fancy" stuff until I got a faster computer.

Nothing wrong with using those old computers for all they're worth
though : )

-Mike