OT: Newbie question?

Stephen L. Phillips digame at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 15 16:26:09 PST 2004

Hello, all - new to this particular list!

Finally christening my Quicksilver 933's DVD burner (Pioneer DVD-RW
DV-104, version A227), and would appreciate your input as to specific
media brands best suited to this system, as I understand Macs can be,
ah, shall we say "particular" about which brands work on them?

I have local access to Verbatim 1X-2X DVD-RW's at 25 for $34.97 or 50
for $59.67: Anyone have experience with this particular manufacturer?

Also, I am on the local cable commission and we are about to embark on
an exponential expansion of membership, education, community and school
involvement, and equipment upgrading: Extol for me the relative virtues
of a digital design and editing workstation based around 1) a G5/1.8 DP
versus 2) a G5/2.0 DP?

Any comments pro or con would be much appreciated!

I've heard that the 2 will enable 3 channel video vs. only 2 channel on
the 1.8 - true or false?

We'll be running Final Cut Pro for our main editing software, with a
couple of 250G internal drives.

Any suggestions for display options to compete (technically and
financially) against a 20" Cinema?

Thanks for all your time and consideration!

Steve Phillips
Two Harbors, Minnesota
(20 miles and 50 years north of Duluth, on Lake Superior...)