Using Disk Utility to make a copy of a DVD

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Thu Jan 15 20:36:02 PST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:49:24 +0000, Karl Hayden <khayden at iol.ie> wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone would know how to use Disk Utility to make a
>copy of a DVD I made so I can burn it onto a blank DVD-R.
>
>I brought a copy of it with me to a friends house and he was able to
>use Disk Utility to burn a copy of the DVD for himself. The only
>problem is he can't remember how he did it. I need to make more copies
>of the DVD to give to other people and each time I try to use iDVD
>something goes wrong and I waste blank disks.
>
>I have returned to the original iMovie version (which is stored on my
>HD) to start the DVD process again, but that has failed on several
>attempts. Any suggestions?

This is the way I would do it with Panther's version of Disk Utility
(I've done this with an earlier version of DU under OS X 10.2, IIRC):

Start Disk Utility.
Insert the original DVD. Quit and close the player if it opens.
In the Disk Utility menu bar, select Images->New->Image from (select
a device)...
Select the DVD disc as the device.
At some point you'll have to tell it where and by what name to save
the image file (it'll be big).
When it's done, eject the DVD.
Insert a blank DVD-R.
In the Disk Utility menu bar, select Images->Burn...
Select the image file you just created.
Burn the DVD.

Once you've created the image file, you should be able to burn it to
as many DVD-Rs as you require.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>