[MacDV] Re: DVD Player not playing

Kochkodin kochkodin at verizon.net
Sun Jan 18 18:24:43 PST 2004

The +Rs will not mount in the Pismo or the iMac SE but if you put them
in in the Lacie D2 +/- burner they mount but DVD Player won't work with
them. Even if you start DVD Player and then go to open to select a
VIDEO_TS folder they won't work. I get an error code. I can understand
if + discs will not work in the stock drives as they were probably made
before consumer DVD burners existed. I'm pretty sure of that but to not
work when being used with the Lacie does not make sense. I think b/c
Apple has gone with the - standard they have made it so DVD Player will
not play + discs. But it gets more confusing when I put a DVD+RW into
the Lacie it mounts AND DVD Player works with the video just like any
other disc but the same video burned to a +R will just error out...I'm
using Verbatim - discs and the + are Verbatim and Philips. Both brands
work great. I do not think this is a faulty media issue but rather a
Apple coding one. I use Toast 6 to burn the discs. When using - media I
get discs that work in the Macs but these discs I grabbed (didn't take
notice) are only 1x. My +s are 2x and work great burned at that speed
but I doubt these Macs would be fast enough to support burning at 4x so
I'll keep at 2x even when I re-stock with 4x that are replacing 2x on
the market.

Does anyone know what the basic differences between the two types of
discs are? Is one more reliable or longer-lived?

Jeff