Why I love my mac

barry ellman docgonzo at mac.com
Mon Jan 19 03:47:23 PST 2004

Dear DV enthusiasts,

> It makes a DVD-R, which is what its supposed to do.  It may be news to
> you that there's a difference between brands of DVD-Rs and that players
> don't read factory pressed disks and DVD-Rs equally well. But that's
> the state of the art.

Wow. Looks like my instincts were correct. I just purchased an I-bookG4
and decided to wait a little while before getting involved with burning
DVs (and spending the extra money on the superdrive).

I've been doing Macs since '83, but as a "user", not a engineer type. I
did fudge a bit of software to get my original mac to talk to a modem,
but that was fun.

I love my mac because it has always been intuitive, in contrast to the
PCs I've used, especially before Windows.

DVs burned on a Mac should play in any player if the Mac is going to be
useful. If it doesn't like the media that's loaded, it should tell you
so with a pop up prompt. When I rent a DVD, it plays anywhere. Why
should a burned DV be any different? At least, that's what us "Users"
will think. We are not looking for puzzles to solve.

I bought my first I-Mac (limited edition DV version) to do movies, and
then found out the I-Movie 1 wouldn't import any of the media I had.
Was a serious disappointment.

Now, I see that the new "burners" of DV will be a problem for a while
till the technology catches up for the consumer. I'll wait, thank you.

later, barry