[MacDV] Re: Copying iDVD to DVD via Toast 5

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 19 22:21:07 PST 2004

>On Jan 20, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>
>>>Well, I decided to see what would happen with Apple branded discs.
>>>I bought a pack, and sure enough, it burned fine. No problems.
>>>When iDVD asked if I wanted to burn another copy, I stuck in the
>>>cheapie again and got the same error as before.
>>>
>>>Then, that's when I decided to see if skipping iDVD and copying
>>>via Toast would do the trick. But, sure enough, I got this error
>>>message:
>>>"Illegal Request
>>>Sense Code=0x30, 0x.05
>>>Cannot Write Medium- Incompatible Format."
>>
>>I'm pulling this out of thin air, but are you sure you
>>bought "DVD-R" and not "DVD+R"?
>
>Yeah, I'm sure. Like I mentioned, I have had success with these
>discs on other projects.

Usually this message appears with CDs (not DVDs) when you
try burning audio CDs with an incompatible writer.

If you're sure that you're working with the correct
kind of media try:

* Making sure that the disc isn't already used
* Changing brands
* Lowering the write speed
* Making sure the right side is down
* Reducing the amount of data you're trying to stick onto
   that disc.

-- Erica