big video file transfer "trick"

barry ellman docgonzo at mac.com
Sun Jan 25 09:30:01 PST 2004

Dear enthusiasts,

I was trying to figure out how to transfer the large I files from my
I-Mac to my I-Book G4, without buying a larger Zip drive (mine is an
embarrassing 100mb).

G. Kuhn and SB were nice enough to take me through the steps of hot
wire transfer with a firewire, but I was nervous about tricking one of
my computers by starting up with the T key held down.

So, I figured out a simple way of transferring the large I-Movie files.

I JUST COPY THE I-MOVIE TO MY VIDEO CAMERA! (Yeah, I'm sure you folks
are thinking I'm not a rocket scientist, but I don't claim to be!)

I-Movie makes this very easy. Not only do I now have a nice copy of a
series of short I-Movies on tape that I can save, send to my kids,
etc., but then it takes absolutely no time at all to transfer back to
the other computer via Firewire.

Basically, I am using the Canon ZR60 as a giant hard drive transfer and
storage facility. Certainly cheaper then storing all my movies on
I-Disc, which gets pretty expensive after a while.

And the saving to tape takes a couple of minutes, rather then the hours
you fellows are spending cutting those DVDs.

later, docgonzo
http://home.earthlink.net/~docgonzo44/bikepics/GrindingatCreek.jpg