[MacDV] Re: JVC Recorder

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Wed Jan 28 07:39:57 PST 2004

I've been using a JVC HR_DVS1U (original model) since it was
introduced 3 years? ago. It wasn't officially supported by Apple and
I crossed my fingers when I bought it. I have used it successfully
with iMovie, Final Cut Pro 3.01 and FCExpress 1.0.1.

Couple of things. Are you capturing directly to the same drive that
your system & application is on. In an ideal world you would like a
separate drive to capture your project to and in a better world, a
separate drive to render to. Saves wear and tear on HD heads and is
much quicker.

I doubt that is your problem in your sound capturing glitches, just
something to bear in mind. Your computer is certainly fast enough. As
a no comparison, my system is using a 768 MB RAM PB Ti 667 DVI
running 3 external hard drives, (2-120 Gb & 30 Gb) the JVC deck and
an external FW DVD burner so you have much more CPU juice than me.

Have you tried using iMovie 2.1.2? Personally, iMovie 3 ( and the
upgrades) have burned me so badly a number of times that I nowrefuse
to use it. Not in any capture issues necessarily with the deck but in
many and various glitches that it continues to exhibit in editing. As
a result, I have backgraded to iMovie 2.1.2 and recommend it heartily
to all. I am not alone either after a good friend who is using a
faster 1 GHz G4 flat panel iMac got so frustrated with iMovie 3 after
continually losing work that I backgraded him, too. He now smiles
while he edits. Too bad as iMovie 3 has such a nice interface. I
digress...

I would suggest the 12-bit sound issue is not the problem either.
That will show up only with sync issues and can be fixed in
Quicktime. Unless you are running two mikes or a wireless mike with
something like a Canon XL1 then you should almost always use 16-bit
sound. Does your TRV900 allow you to choose between 12 and 16 bit?
Probably, as they are great camera's. If so, make sure you are
capturing at 16-bit. Change your deck to 16-bit (48kHz) also. Have
you checked to make sure that your original footage is without sound
issues? You know the cliche, garbage in... garbage out.

More JVC deck flotsam... sometimes, the system doesn't recognize the
deck as a firewire device. ?? Simple solution. Unplug the firewire
connection to the deck from the computer wait a few seconds and plug
back in. The procedure reboots the FW bus and bingo your deck should
be recognized. I have had better success unplugging from the back of
the computer than on the small FW plug on the JVC deck. As you know,
the front connection is the standard and more fragile 4-pin type
camera connection so better to manipulate the larger 6-pin on the
computer as a general rule. However, after that warning I don't
follow my own advice 'cause when copying from the miniDV to VHS or
the reverse and I want to use my computer I unplug the front FW plug
as it is more convenient for me. In doing that, be careful and make
sure you correctly have the 4-pin aligned properly on re-plug as I
have heard of ham-fisted types jamming it in the wrong way. I have
also found it is better to have your deck on before launching editing
software and quitting such before shutting the deck off. Obviously,
this doesn't apply when capturing a finished project back to miniDV.
Then... just make sure the computer won't go to sleep and let the
capture to the deck proceed - uninterrupted and unabated.

Other cool things that this JVC deck can do, and not documented with
my version DVS1U, is the ability to capture directly off an external
and older analog 8mm camera or H8 or digital 8 models through the
external RCA/SVideo plugs on the front of the deck. I have captured
footage directly, on-the-fly, from an external devices directly onto
a separate FW drive without first capturing to either VHS or miniDV.
That feature alone has saved me countless hours. Didn't mean to blab
on but as you can guess I do like the deck and its features.

To summarize:
Get your deck set-up properly. Double check deck menu settings. Read
the manual. Check original footage. I wouldn't be the least bit
surprised that your issues are iMovie 3 related. IMHO... iMovie 3.0.3
sucks. After doing all that, then have the deck either checked or
replaced.

My 2 cents.
(I guess this one is 10 cents...)

Rod