are 120-minute mini-dv tapes available?

Malcolm Hamilton malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca
Thu Jan 29 13:46:48 PST 2004

Hi everyone -
I've got to transfer 175 (approx.) Hi-8 tapes to mini-dv (archiving
my family movies).  It'll be a tedious project regardless, but it
would sure make life easier if my Hi-8 tapes and mini-dv tapes were
of equal length.
As it is, most of my Hi-8 tapes are 120 minutes long.  And as far as
I know, the only mini-dv tapes I can get are just 60 minutes (best
quality).  This means I'm going to have to time everything, and make
sure I'm at my desk at the 60-minute point.  And check, and rewind,
etc., etc.

Does anyone know if 120-minute mini-dv tapes are available somewhere,
or if they're on the horizon?

By the way - I can get Maxell mini-dv tapes at a good price compared
to Sony's.  Are they as good?  (I'll just be recording on these tapes
once)
Cheers,
Malcolm