[MacDV] Re: are 120-minute mini-dv tapes available?

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Jan 29 16:46:26 PST 2004

On Thursday, January 29, 2004, at 07:34  PM, sb wrote:

> True, unless you consider the number of dropouts a quality difference
> :)

It isn't the number at that point but the length of the dropouts. ; >
There is also a school of thought that the slower speed can give error
correction more time to work.

> Also, there are some editing systems that don't recognize the extended
> play
> tapes.
Das true

> As for tape stock, well, my experience has been the opposite! I buy
> Sony's
> first,
Same page

> then Fuji, TDK and Panasonic.
I find that the panasonics have the most dropouts especially in the
first five minutes.
TDK are the next worse.

>  I usually go to www.TapeResources.com,
> but anyone who breaks the $3.00/tape price has my business!
Honestly I will pay $8 a piece for confidence, cause I have seen tapes
that are bad all the way through.
>  I use about 300+
> tapes a year, one time only record.

I have Sony Tapes(the good gray ones) that I have used 6-8 times w/ no
problems.
If you are doing a wedding and get a defective tape, you are in deep
doo doo.