[MacDV] Re: The Way Of The Master

YangZone at aol.com YangZone at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 01:44:08 PST 2004

Moan... here we go... this is a DV list...
>Helped you what?
Helped me appreciate the art of storytelling through film making. Aronofsky nailed (pun not intended) Selbys story. Every year there are a few movies that bring something to storytelling... film makers find themselves pointing to (in this case, momentarily) with the way of the Masters (of cinema)... (Bunuel, Godard, Fellini, Kurosawa, etc)

It's not so much the story as the way it's told.  Requiem has a lot of qualities... but, while it shows good directing and especially interesting and dynamic editing, it has shock value... and this shock might help our lista. (A (short) bout with H might even help him in this situation... not that I'd recommend it - 'more inclined to Lewis Carrol's brand of tipple as a remedy for this situation).

The web site that we were directed to is probably not going to do do much for DV  - the person who referred the site seems to need help (just as Mrs.Goldfarb needed it), help to focus on DV editing anyway... what this list is about... so, my 2 cents is to suggest watching Requiem - to help this person to find something meaningful in life and inspire him to focus on story telling through DV editing (possibly as a  way to save himself?)  and if he ends up doing weddings maybe someone will suggest something else to help him further along the way... (the way of the Masters... ?)

(if this were a religion site instead of a DV site and I had any insight I'd probably recommend a scripture... know any good ones? ... 'just kidding... I mean it Yakof... 'just kidding!)

 PJ