The Way Of The Master (but let's change this new thread title, please)

David A. Schwartz d.a.schwartz at verizon.net
Fri Jan 30 11:04:28 PST 2004

On Friday, January 30, 2004, at 12:22 PM, James Asherman
<jimash at optonline.net> wrote:

<snip>
> That kind of stuff is a little dark for me. Been there done that...
>   Have you seen "Oh Brother where art thou?"  I believe that was edited
> and enhanced w/ FCP.  What a look!
> Jim

I don't believe that "O Brother" was edited in FCP. The look that you
are raving about is the result of a digital intermediate process where
the original 35mm film is digitized, color corrected and manipulated,
and rendered back into film. Very expensive but very effective, and
quickly gaining in popularity.
One film that HAS been edited in FCP is "Cold Mountain," which is
getting notice as the first real high profile project to come out of
FCP. Walter Murch (check him out on imdb.com, his credits would swamp
this list) used four systems. One for him, one for his assistant, one
to digitize footage, and one to output DVDs for dailies viewing. All
four systems together cost less than one half of one Avid system.
"Cold Mountain" was also entirely processed via digital intermediate.

Dave Schwartz