[MacDV] Re: The Way Of The Master

illovox at comcast.net illovox at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 12:22:32 PST 2004

on 1/30/04 12:08 PM, James Asherman at jimash at optonline.net wrote:

>>> \and enhanced w/ FCP.  What a look!
>>
>> Been where?
> Bad places

Really?  Let's hear!

>> Done what?
> Dangerous things

Let's hear!  :)

>> RFAD was genius.  You've been to genius before and
>> done genius before?
> Actually yes but that wasn't the point. Only that I find such movies
> (however excellent) depressing.

No shock there, since that was part of the movie's intention--to be
depressing.  The key to it's genius was that it was so effective that many
who watched it felt as if they had gone through a Heroin lifestyle without
having to actually do Heroin.  More so, it was depressing because DA still
made us care about these people despite their downward trajectories.  Now,
will he do the same for Batman Year One is another question.  Will I feel
like I was an orphaned crazy man vigilante without actually becoming one?

Few escaped RFAD's clutches upon viewing.  That you found it depressing
means nothing.  How you felt about becoming depressed...different story.
You didn't like it.  Cool.  You've "been there, done that."  I did enjoy it,
because I have not experienced such overwhelming loss and appreciated a
window into the suffering of others.  It gave me a sense of sympathy.