[MacDV] On camera mic

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 17:11:57 PDT 2004

Whenever possible, your on-camera mic should not be on the camera! Lots of potential for
handling noise or lens sounds, plus the fact that the mic should invariably be in a very
different place from the camera.

I normally place a Neuman stereo pair front & center that feed into a portable DAT or
mini disc. You don't want to fool with anything that requires taping down cables. Speed
is not an issue when you capture later since these are recording digitally.

I also like to use Sennheiser Evolution wireless packs that can be placed on people or
at podiums. Their receivers feed into a wide camera (or any that never pauses during the
event). The Sennheisers have plenty of switchable channels so you can easily find clear
frequencies regardless of the other equipment in use for house sound.

If you really need an on-camera mic for roving, Sony makes an ECM-HS1 hot-shoe model
with an adjustable zoom pattern. It does a great job of single speaker interviews in
noisy environments.

R.B.