[MacDV] Stills in IMovie

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Jul 7 12:58:05 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, July 7, 2004, at 03:47  PM, David Minard wrote:

> For "Ken Burns" effects and other use of stills in IMovie (and for
> that matter, Final Cut Express), what resolution should I use in
> Photoshop? I am assuming some of these will have an extreme "zoom in."
> I also assume that I should use an aspect ratio of 4:3, right?
>
> Any other pointers in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

(flame retardant vest on)

As long as you get the aspect right, the actual size, resolution, or
pixel count does not matter.
Most any size still is properly resized by either FCP or iMovie.
In any case iMovie native is 640x480 and FCP is 720 x480.
In Photoshop I think you have to increase the 480 to 500 or 520 to
correct for square to
rectangular pixel conversion.
stills constructed in those sizes will be just right.
Jim