[MacDV] 8mm & Hi8

Claire Hart hart at arn.net
Sat Jul 17 08:42:51 PDT 2004

Replying to my own post...

Here's a paragraph I found on the internet which explains it:

Super VHS, Super VHS-C, and Hi8 are the improved versions of the
above three formats. Where VHS and 8mm create 240 lines of
horizontal picture resolution, SVHS and Hi8 create 400 lines.
  These super models cost about $500 more than their counterparts,
but the cost is worth it if you wish to do serious
teleproduction. Although the super camcorders can record and
play regular tapes, if they record a super tape, it can only be
played back on a super machine. Also, in order to make a super
recording, you must buy the more expensive super tape to feed
your camcorder. Remember that you are always free to copy your
super picture (perhaps using your camcorder as the player) onto a
regular VHS tape (recording on a regular VHS recorder) for
distribution.

Claire