[MacDV] Re: convert DVD to DV-NTSC

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Mon Jul 26 09:22:17 PDT 2004

On 7/26/04 4:50 AM, Jan E. Schotsman at J_E_SCHOTSMAN at compuserve.com wrote:

> Hello Lowell,
>
>> I've read many DVD ripping tutorials and tried a lot of what's out there.
> The best result I've achieved has been to use 0SEx to convert the DVD
> chapter from my Superdrive to a M2V file. Then I tried using Media Pipe to
> convert the M2V file to a MPV file. But when I open this file in QuickTime
> the video quality is not good enough.<
>
> Once you have the m2v open it with QT Player Pro and save as NTSC DV.
> This should result in the least loss of quality.
>
> You do need the QuickTime MPEG playback component for this (a $20 download
> from the Apple Store). Opening an m2v may take long but starting form QT6.5
> you can save the reference movie so it is a one time annoyance.
>
> Jan.

Whew...  I don't know if that process is worth the "digital" conversion
headache...  How about just playing the DVD in a DVD player and running that
into your DV camera or converter?

If you're trying to rip a commercial DVD...  Good luck.  Luckily, I have a
DVD player that I can disable Macrovision, so if I need a DV clip from a
commercial DVD, it's not a problem...

Or use DVD Backup or 0SEx to rip the DVD to your hard drive and DVDxDV to
get it into DV format...  WAAAAY easier than trying to hack your way through
it with clunky "freeware" tools...  I value my time, so I'm willing to pay
the developer of DVDxDV for the software.

So...  Look up on macupdate.com (please don't use VersionTracker):

- DVD Backup
- 0SEx  (that first character is a zero)
- DVDxDV

And... you'll still need to (ugh) buy Apple's MPEG-2 playback component for
DVDxDV to work.

2 cents.

- Mark