[MacDV] Re: DVD-R question

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Tue Jul 27 18:08:04 PDT 2004

On 7/27/04 1:10 PM, Mark O'Brien at rmobrien at mac.com wrote:

> I'm not so much worried about speeding up the burn time as I am about being
> able to buy affordable media. From what you say above, I can buy 4x discs
> and burn them at 1x on my iMac. Or, from what you say below, I can buy
> increasingly hard to find and expensive 2x media and achieve 2x burn speed.

Like I said, make sure you have the Apple patch applied so you don't burn up
your drive (literally).  Here's the support doc:

> I just saw an ad for an MCE-installed 8x DVD±RW while researching my specs
> this morning: <http://www.mcetech.com/dvdr8xdt_imacg4.html>. $149 plus
> shipping.

External FireWire drive I guess?  Might be good for making copies of DVDs if
you use iDVD to burn the original, or you could use it with Toast, but you
won't be able to use it with iDVD directly (without a hack, anyway).  ;-)

> But without that firmware update, I should be able to successfully (and
> safely) burn 4x media at 1x speed, right?

Without the "hacked" firmware you'll be fine, but you still need Apple's
"offical" firmware update (which you may have already applied since it's
kind of old at this point).

Hope that helps.

- Mark