[MacDV] DVD pointers?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jul 28 09:41:10 PDT 2004

On Jul 28, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Dorothy Hennings wrote:

> When I try to make a DVD from iMovie4, and the encoding is proceeding,
> I note that my external HD is really working. Does this mean the DVD
> is getting the data from the  external HD and not from the iMovie in
> the viewer?

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. There are a couple
factors involved (if I am understanding).

1) The iMovie application. This is the software that works on a video
project and is usually stored in the Applications folder of the boot
drive.

2) The iMovie project. This can be anywhere (often a big external
drive) and contains the raw video footage (in the media folder inside
the project folder), a project description file (ends in .iMovieProj)
which is a description of all of your editing. And finally a reference
movie, which ends in .mov and is essentially a list of pointers to the
various stuff you have in the media folder, and represents the movie
you have in the timeline you see in iMovie. Since this isn't the actual
movie it is relatively small (a few hundred kbytes for most of my
stuff.

Now if what you've done is copy this reference file to your internal
drive, it is as you said, just a bunch of pointers to the real data
still on your external drive. If you want this to be a stand-alone
movie you need to export it from iMovie, probably as a DV stream. I
don't remember what this does to chapter markers etc. though so be
cautious with this approach.

-Mike