[MacDV] An Interesting Point. What To Do About Archives

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Sun Jun 6 09:23:48 PDT 2004

Tape, such as AIT and DLT media, has some manufacturers boasting data
integrity/archival capability. These can store, very slowly, large
amounts of data, but are a bit pricey per GB. Additionally, the tape
drives will set you back $1,000 or more. Those authoring commercial
DVDs usually have to have a DLT tape drive (LaCie is about as
affordable as the come on the Mac.)

Tape, as in DV, or better, DVCAM,  is not a bad idea at all. Keep your
camera tapes, and offline your finished edits onto DV, and STORE THEM
WELL (cool, dry, free from over-handling, and away from magnetic
fields.) Disney, for example, is archiving its massive library of Beta
SP (they OWN ABC, as it happens) onto DVCAM even as I type. So, big
corporations like this idea. It is digital, CHEAP, and takes little
storage space, even with the big 184 minute DVCAM tapes.

DVD has the problem of low capacity, and by virtue of unproven
chemistry, questionable archival characteristics. A central issue for
DVD-R _or_ CDR recordable media relative to ATTEMPTING archiving is
recording speed. This sort of media, recorded SLOWLY (1x-2x) will be
VASTLY more stable and archival than the same media recorded at 48x.
The laser etches at the same power at all speeds. Higher
photosensitivity of the "certified" media (e.g. 52x) only means the
media will be able to respond to fast burning, NOT that the burn itself
will bear archival resemblance to a slower, therefor more deeply etched
burn. It's all about the integrity of the pits versus the changing
chemical nature within the substrate. Trusting ever shallower pits
through faster and faster burn speeds equals lunacy. Our slowly burned
CDR archives from way back when the FASTEST burners were 2x (and buffer
underrun protection did not exitst) remain useable a DECADE after the
burn. I've watched reports on the former TechTV that CDR's have 2-3
year lifespans, but in the same breath, they would also advocate 600x
burn speeds due the need for advertiser appeasement.

Hard Drives are dropping in price, and getting bigger all the time. If
they die, there are many resources available to reclaim your data. This
is not true of tape, nor of CD/DVD media. The problem with using hard
drives as archive devices is it dictates that the drive will only be
used for such archiving on a recurring, as need basis. This equals
many, many hard drive boot up, shut down cycles. Drive manufacturers
will tell you this cycle is the MAIN wear and tear on a drive, thus to
archive in this fashion is to shorten the life of the drive. It's a
Catch-22, but with a silver lining, which is the recovery industry
which can't wait to give you back your data. Now, if you use a Firewire
or USB external case for such archiving, always FIRST replace the case
before seeking help with data problems. ALL the current Firewire/USB
cases have their own issues centering around 1) power supply failiure
2) internal circuit failure which are NOT necessarily related to your
hard drive data integrity.

Hitachi (formerly IBM) will shortly have 400GB/7200 RPM drives on the
market. Buying quality archive drives is essential, which means NOTHING
from Seagate, and probably not even Maxtor (we've had a LOT of
dead/dying Maxtors of late), etc. Western Digital and Hitachi are
amongst the current nods, but all this seems to change with time.
Manufacturers do NOT maintain quality standards to any strict sense of
the word, as they choose raw materials from the CHEAPEST sources
possible to balance the service life (or "customer service") to profit
ratio.

Can't wait to see someone perfect holographic storage. Maybe it will be
archival nirvana.

Well, 'nuff said to add to this debacle...

Richard Brown