Video mixers

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 12:39:10 PDT 2004

Looks like I'm going to have to know about live video mixing in a hurry
(long story don't ask!)

Anyone had any experience with either the Edirol LVS-400 4ch Video
Mixer/Live Switcher
<www.edirol.it/europe/details.asp?code=316&id=12&la=UK>
or the Videonics MXProDV Digital Video Mixer?
<www.focusinfo.com/products/mxprodv/mxprodv.htm>

Its my impression (so far) that the quality from the MXProDV will be
better as it can deal with (2 anyway) DV inputs so a live mix to tape
stays at DV quality whereas with the  Edirol LVS-400 the inputs are
composite or S video so there will be loss compared with what I'm used
to (separate DV cameras recording on to their own DV tapes).

Against that, there is the problem of cable length with FireWire DV
cameras - anyone had experience with the special "Distance DV" cables
<www.focusinfo.com/products/ddv/distancedv.htm>
from Focus Enhancements (33, 66 or 164 feet).

Colin McDonald