[MacDV] Re: analog sound

Granville Kennedy gskiii at telerama.lm.com
Wed Jun 16 20:35:33 PDT 2004

The reasoning regarding the use of a "breakout-box" to house the
soundcard circuitry instead of just plugging into an available PCI slot
is that the separate box can run more cooly than inside the computer
with lots of heat sources.  The fear is that the heat will aversely
affect the highly accurate clocks that are key in the analog to digital
conversion.  The esoteric reasons given are that the external
converters actually sound better.  I'm in no position to judge fine
nuances in sound quality, but I do know that even the most benign noise
reduction algorithm  punches big holes in anything recorded at CD
quality (16 bit/44.1 kHz)  Not to mention the clocks used to support
the built-in audio are cheap.  I've found the PCI card does a fine job
for me.

Most of the hardware I'm familiar with is from M-Audio.  I might have
portable recording studio with my M-Audio mobile pre usb interface and
my microphone.  The big problem is I'd need to drag the iMac DV along
to do the recording :-)  Guess I can always hope for a laptop for
Father's Day!  Anyway, anyone know anything about the Audio-Technica
ATR-25 stereo camcorder microphone?  These look like a pretty good deal
to fall back on when I don't get a laptop anytime soon...

Thanks,
		Joey Kennedy.