Trimming posts---MacDV Digest #2747

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Fri Jun 25 06:36:09 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:48:58 -0700, Ted Langdell <ted at tedlangdell.com> wrote:

>On Jun 24, 2004, at 5:26 AM, Macintosh Digital Video List wrote:

>>  From: Daniel Beck <danielbeck at mac.com>
>>  Subject: Trimming (was what to get... or rent?)
>>  Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:54:12 +0900
>>
>>  Guys! Guys! Guys!
>>
>>  Could you please trim your posts? That last one had a one line reply,
>>  but had the list signature quoted 5 times!
>>
>>  Thank you,
>>  Daniel
>

>Amen to that!  I was just about to write something about it and ran
>across your post.
>
>As you're aware, the easy way to do it in most e-mail clients is to
>highlight the section you want to appear in the reply BEFORE you click
>the "Reply" button.
>
>Just that text will show up in the reply message.
>
>That keeps the individual post short, and makes us digest-style readers
>not have to wear our our fingers scrolling to the bottom of 23 replies
>we've already read.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Ted Langdell
>Ted Langdell Creative Broadcast Services
>Marysville, CA

For me, Eudora doesn't put just the selected text in the reply when I
Reply. But a couple of extra keystrokes produces the same result:

I select the message I am replying to (usually in a digest). Then I
hit CMD-C, CMD-R, and  OPTION-CMD-V.

The CMD-C copies the selected text to the clipboard.
The CMD-R opens a Reply message with the entire digest text, all of
it selected.
The OPTION-CMD-V replaces that selected text with the message I
copied to the clipboard, along with the "At [date-time] [so-and-so]
wrote:" header.

I then edit the header to change the digest date-time to the message
date-time, and to change the name of the list to the name of the
poster. I also edit the Subject to change the digest name and number
to the subject of the message I'm replying to.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>