[MacDV] Sony DVD camcorders...

Preston Boardrider at aaaHawk.com
Mon Jun 28 11:40:19 PDT 2004

A friend of mine has one of these Sony DVD camcorders ( model 100 )
and it only has S-video and USB 2.0.  I WAs really surprised that is
had no FW. My friend wants a Mac for video editing but is letting
this camera get in the way.  I'm not sure how to make it work with a
Mac, perhaps the USB2.0 equipped Macs would transfer the video to
iMovie ok??

Also there are 3 levels of video quality.  20min for high, ?? Med,
and 60min for Low.  He records in low quality just so he can get
something on his dvd. But the manual does not say what type of signal
it records.  MPEG2 is what is uses for the photo stills, but it says
nothing about the video format. He is pretty sure it is NOT MPEG as
his PC MPEG video editor will not accept it.

I told him to give this camera away to an ignorant PC person and go
buy a FW equipped mini-DV camcorder  and quit messing around with
these compatibility issues.  He's been trying to make it work on his
PC for months now. buying this and that software, extra video import
hardware etc. Crazy what people will put themselves through when
Apple has a very simple editing solution. I told him to get an iMac 2
years ago, and he still has nothing edited with his PC.