[MacDV] Final Cut Pro vs Express

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Sat Mar 6 03:42:34 PST 2004

I don't know about the upgrade path -

As for features, there are a few situations where you would need FCP. There may be
something else, but here are the big differences.

1) FCE works with DV files only. Pro can edit using HD, SD, analog, & even film based
projects.
2) FCP is needed to work with projects from other editors. It can use many edit decision
list datasets and capture footage without issue. It also allows advanced audio design by
exporting in OME format to go to Pro Tools.
3) FCP can capture in OfflineRT (a codec for very small disc files). You can do almost
all of the work on a Laptop with limited disc space then recapture in Full quality
toward the end of the project (this is the one that sent me over to Pro)
4) FCP allows you to log everything first, and only capture the scenes you will work.
This is a real space saver if you plan on editing more than one project at a time. Hard
Drive space costs less everyday, but storage on original tapes is still less expensive
for now.

R.B.