Steadycam

Kathi Carey kathicarey at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 10:51:53 PST 2004

On 3/6/04 5:29 AM, "Macintosh Digital Video List"
<MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> ------------------------------

> Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:13:46 -0800
> From: Pat&Linda <farrell at gorge.net>
> Subject: [MacDV] Re: Steadycam
>

>> Some time ago someone posted some information on a home made type of steady
>> cam. Does anyone have any information on this or any other type of steady
>> cam like apparatus.
>>
>> Rob Green
>
> If this was the one that used scooter parts, I am interested in
> hearing more, too.
> Another one that looks interesting, and simple:
> http://steadycam.org/
>
> You'll never be revered among equipment aesthetes, tho.
>
> Patrick
>
> ------------------------------

Patrick and Rob,

I just took a class to learn all about my new toy (a Panasonic DVX-100A 24p
camera) from Birns & Sawyer and they talked a lot about the different
Steadycams on the market (including the ones you "make at home") and he
pointed out a very interesting fact -- unless your body is supporting the
weight of the camera (and the counter weight) it isn't going to be that
steady!  If you end up having to support all the weight of the camera (and
counter weight) on your forearm ... Well you get the picture!  (And a shaky
picture it is!)  How long can you hold something, even something relatively
lightweight, extended at the end of your arm when your arm is extended from
your body and hold it steady?  If you want to know the answer to that
question, just take a 5 lb. Barbell and hold it out from your body the way
you would hold your camera.  Now stay there.  And hold it steady.  Hold it
with two hands if you want.  And hold it steady.  How long can you do it?
Maybe a couple of minutes?  Not really long enough for any shot you want.

Now, I realize that your scene may be short and you're a guy so you can hold
it longer than I can, but most of your actors will need at least 4-5 takes,
which means you'd better be really good friends with a chiropractor if
you're going to try and muscle through this.

Kathi