[MacDV] encoding for web video download

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Mar 12 09:55:43 PST 2004

You can create various flavors of Quicktime with Quicktime, which is
particularly easy within Final Cut Pro, but doable in Quicktime itself.
Note even for cable/DSL connections, you are best to keep the size no
larger than 320x240. Five minutes will be more than 10MB with any
semblance of quality, and more than 20MB looking and sounding very
good.

Quicktime's latest capabilities with MPEG 4 can be very nice, but it is
pragmatic as to who can see them. Real Player in Windows can play a Mac
created MP4 without issue, and so can many Macs. Just not ALL of both,
due to incomplete upgrading across the Net.

Quicktime does not really speak Media Player, and it's best to encode
in Windows Media Player directly (on a PC.) Media Player files at good
quality for 5 minutes are about 13-15MB.

Can they be smaller? Yes, sacrificing quality, of course.

We did a lot of experimentation for a five minute web streaming piece
recently...

Finally assuming broadband is not the best of assumptions. MOST of U.S.
users do not have broadband, BUT, most major cities and metropolitan
areas do. As this is where most of the money is, assuming broadband is
okay for certain purposes.

Richard Brown