[MacDV] Formac Devideon

Donald C. Tully drdon at mwt.net
Mon Mar 29 07:42:02 PST 2004

Dave - I've just started using my Divideon for burning DVD's (been burning
CD's for a while with good success.)  You're right. The authoring software
from Formac sucks - at least the burning phase - and so does their zero
customer support.  I purchased Toast Titanium last week and it works great.
I just created my movie with Imovie and dragged the reference .mov file to
the Toast window and let it do its thing. I'm running a G3, too. It took 27
hours to encode and burn a 15 minute Imovie on the high quality setting.
Only 4 hours at the standard setting. If you have the time, high quality is
worth the wait.

Toast is missing a couple of nice features that Formac has. For example,
After creating chapters with IDVD, I was hoping to have a button for each
chapter on the finished menu. Only got one for the entire movie. Also, you
can't change the title page background with Toast like you can with Formac.
Maybe there's something better than Toast or I need to learn how to use it
better...