Cable Leased Commercial Access (was Public Access/ Cable Channel Production) MacDV Digest #2641

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Sat Mar 20 10:35:12 PST 2004

Steve,

What you're actually looking for is a "cable leased commercial access"
channel. Cable systems that have more than a certain number of
"activated" channels (usually 36 or more) are required to reserve 10%
or 15% of their activated channel capacity for leased commercial
access.

Its a resource not publicized by cable companies, and not very well
known.

This requirement allows unaffiliated producers with commercially
supported programs to obtain a one-shot half-hour, on up to a full
channel, 24/7.

You simply write to the cable company requesting rates, terms and
conditions. See the links below. There's a specific section about
what's required from you to create a "bona fide" request, and what the
cable company is obliged to do in response.

I suspect you could write ONE letter to the main office of a
multiple-system operator like Comcast or Cox, and list the towns or
systems you want to use.

The law's intention is to make access available at a relatively low
cost. The regulations have specific formula for determining rates, so
there's a way to check (spreadsheet sugggested) whether the rate being
quoted is more than what it should be... and processes for resolving
disputes. (Bring on the CPA's!)

If you opt to use leased access, make sure that you don't get gouged
when it comes to getting your tape played back, or arranging other
delivery methods.  Cable operators are limited in how much they can
charge.

Rather than paying a "per playback" fee, it might be cheaper for you to
provide your own playback system and rent space in the company's head
end.  There are hard-drive equipped MPEG-2 playback boxes that can be
rack mounted, hooked up to a DSL connection and fed programs for timed
playback.

If they won't rent space inside the head end (which might be illegal if
they provide that kind of support to others) you might be able to
arrange to have your own small equipment shelter next door, and run the
signal through a conduit to their building.

See these links for details, which are contained in the FCC rules and
regulations under the parts listed in the section covering cable TV:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/47cfr76_03.html

76.701 Leased access channels. (Deals w/cable operator's limited
ability to censor LCA programs)
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/05dec20031700/
edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.701.pdf

76.970   Commercial leased access rates.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/05dec20031700/
edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.971.pdf

76.971 Commercial leased access terms and conditions
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/05dec20031700/
edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.971.pdf

76.975 Commercial leased access dispute resolution.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/05dec20031700/
edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.975.pdf

76.977 Minority and educational programming used in lieu of designated
commercial leased access capacity.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/05dec20031700/
edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.977.pdf

I'd also suggest that you do a search on the FCC website
(http://www.fcc.gov) for "Cable leased commercial access" and read the
various items that pop up.  That will familiarize you with some of the
issues LCA programmers have had with cable operators, and what the FCC
decided.  It will better prepare you for helping get what you want.

Many cable sales and management people have no clue about Leased
Commercial Access, so it might not hurt to print out the first four PDF
files, highlight appropriate sections and provide them with your rate
request.

Hope this helps.

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA