OT Apple airport

Gerhard Kuhn gerhardk at mac.com
Sun Mar 21 21:16:05 PST 2004

I purchased an airport base station without the external antenna and I
am impressed by it's range with the powerbook but when I try to connect
using my 800 mhz iMac 25 feet is too far to connect.  It works but
after 10 or so feet the signal drops sharply.  In the same building the
powerbook can get a usable signal at 70+ feet.  Anyone know of a
solution to this.  The powerbook has the extreme card and the iMac has
the original airport card but this should not have an effect on range
just speed from how I understand this.

I guess I'll call the retailer in the morning and keep my fingers
crossed that there is a solution.

Gerhard

P.S. I was impressed by the ease of set-up, as was the technician from
the phone company that was installing our new high speed access,  I
have had DSL at home for years but it was not available at our work
location till recently.  There is a wireless antenna on our town's
water tower and our building has a small antenna (about the same size
as my 12" powerbook) for receiving the signal.  When tested using DSL
reports it proved to be slightly slower than my DSL connection but
still more than fast enough for our purposes as well that it is always
on.