Bizarre Final Cut Pro Problem

animal animal at cuug.ab.ca
Mon Mar 22 13:47:22 PST 2004

Thanks to everyone who helped.  Based on all input, this seems to be
what's happened.

I know the source of the virus.  It came from someone I was expecting a
contract from.  I tried to open the attachment assuming it was the
contract.  Later I found out he sent the email but not with an
attachment.

Unaware that I was infected - I'm pretty sure the virus piggybacked on
my email to at least three people I emailed (all PC users).

Now, none of my external hard drives work with this computer for
downloading Final Cut Pro anymore.  Plus my emac OS 10.2.8 is still
sluggish even after being repairing with disk utility (it says the Emac
is fine), it looks like Gregg's experience with a PC virus is what's
happened to me:
Gregg said:
"It was a fairly easy fix using Virex, but it did wipe out my system
file and it took about two full days to troubleshoot and get things
back to normal."

I will mention Final Cut Pro won't work worth a dam now so it looks
like I'm going to have to reinstall everything from scratch.  Plus
that'll kill the PC virus.  Appleworks is also sluggish but Photoshop
seems to be working fine.

I've updated Norten twice (three days ago and again now), so hopefully
it will help, though it just seems to update the same files over and
over.

Though there aren't any 'Mac viruses' as such, this PC virus has cost
me some time.  Since Antivirus for Mac won't recognize PC viruses or
get rid of them, (now I'm wondering why I bought it) I will never open
another attachment again.

Lynn