[MacDV] Re: Bizarre Final Cut Pro Problem

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Mon Mar 22 21:39:28 PST 2004

on 3/22/04 1:47 PM, animal at animal at cuug.ab.ca wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who helped.  Based on all input, this seems to be
> what's happened.
>
> I know the source of the virus.  It came from someone I was expecting a
> contract from.  I tried to open the attachment assuming it was the
> contract.  Later I found out he sent the email but not with an
> attachment.
>
> Unaware that I was infected - I'm pretty sure the virus piggybacked on
> my email to at least three people I emailed (all PC users).
>
> Now, none of my external hard drives work with this computer for
> downloading Final Cut Pro anymore.  Plus my emac OS 10.2.8 is still
> sluggish even after being repairing with disk utility (it says the Emac
> is fine), it looks like Gregg's experience with a PC virus is what's
> happened to me:
> Gregg said:
> "It was a fairly easy fix using Virex, but it did wipe out my system
> file and it took about two full days to troubleshoot and get things
> back to normal."

Lynn, just to clarify, I was talking about a fixing a Mac virus with Virex,
not a PC virus. As many have mentioned, a Windows/PC coded virus will not
affect the Mac operating system. I can >almost< guarantee (never say never)
that your external drive issue is completely separate from the apparent
spreading of a PC virus from your computer to others.

About all you can do for the latter (preventing the spread of the virus) is
to delete any dubious e-mails with attachments (ie your contractors).
Realistically, it is your PC-using contacts' responsibility to have virus
protection on their machines ... you are a minimal risk to them compared
with other PC users and sites they are in contact with.

As for your external drive issue, if both FW drives are exhibiting the same
problems, it is likely not a drive problem but probably a FW port (hardware)
or software issue.

Out of curiousity, how much free drive space is available on your internal
System drive?

--
Gregg