[MacDV] Re: iDVD encoding

Ric Perrott writerric at mac.com
Sun Mar 28 18:21:04 PST 2004

Wow,  a lot of misinformation in this thread.

The AUDIO_TS folder is for DVD-AUDIO and should be empty if the disc
contains only DVD-VIDEO.

You cannot *add* anything to the AUDIO_TS folder and have it do
*anything* so brucewll at comcast.net was *way* off.

iDVD encodes all of its audio in either linear PCM or MPEG format, not
to be confused  with MP3. MPEG format is one of the standards of the
DVD spec, and linear PCM is of course standard 16/44.1 CD Audio.

In order to use a Dolby Digital soundtrack in your DVD, you must use
DVDSP.

iDVD 4 encodes faster than iDVD 3 did, but make sure that you have
"Best performance" selected in the preferences and that your video is
60 minutes or less. If you have more than 60 minutes, then iDVD must
use the "best quality" setting which can take up to 3 times longer to
encode than "best performance"

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion with regards to iDVD.

Ric Perrott
Author - "Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils"
www.njdevilsbook.com